Certified Language Proficiency Testing
Test your language proficiency and earn an official language certification for your language proficiency achievements
Test your language proficiency and earn an official language certification for your language proficiency achievements — whether you’re using the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) or Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) scales.
The Chattanooga School of Language partners with Language Testing International (LTI) to provide this opportunity for all language students to receive a certified assessment of their language abilities.
LTI offers one of the most recognized and accepted language credentials in the world. LTI is the exclusive licensee and official testing office of ACTFL, which was founded in 1967, and is a leader in the development of proficiency-based teaching and testing resources.
So why would you want to get language certification?
Give yourself a leg up by earning a certified assessment of your language abilities that employers know and trust.
Give yourself a significant professional advantage in today’s competitive global marketplace.
(Did you know that the demand for bilingual workers in Tennessee has nearly tripled from 2010 to 2016 ?)
Including a language proficiency certificate in combination with a resume immediately shows prospective employers your language ability above other employment candidates.
Measure your performance toward proficiency with an assessment of standards-based language learning.
Official ratings of various ACTFL assessments and certifications are recommended for college credit by the American Council on Education.
ACTFL / LTI certificates are recognized by schools for credit / placement on a school-by-school basis (determined by the schools).
List of languages by test type: For Grades 6-12
- ACTFL Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL)
- Seal of Biliteracy testing
For Grades 12-adults
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) ”“ live rated test
- ACTFL & ILR: Afrikaans, Akan-Twi, Albanian, Arabic (MSA), Armenian, Assyrian, Azerbaijani, Baluchi, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chavacano, Chechen, Cantonese Chinese, Mandarin Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dari, Dhivehi, Dutch, English, Estonian, Ewe, Finnish, French, Fon, Ga, Georgian, German, Greek (Modern), Guajarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hiligaynon, Hindi, Hmong-Mong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Ilocano, Indonesian, Italian, Iraqi, Japanese, Javanese, Kazakh, Kikongo-Kongo, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Korean, Krio, Kurdish (ACTFL only), Lao, Latvian, Levantine, Lingala, Lithuanian, Luganda, Malay, Malayalam, Mandingo-Bambara, Marathi, Mongolian, Mossi, Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Persian Farsi, Polish, (European) Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Sindhi, Sinhalese, Slovak, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tajik, Tamil, Tausug, Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Tigrinya, Turkish, Turkmen, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Wolof, Yoruba, Zulu
- ILRÂ (only): Algerian, Bambara, Belorrusian, Egyptian, Fula/Peul, Fula/Toucouleur, Jordanian, Kashmiri, Kwaiti, Kurdish-Kurmanji, Kurdish-Sorani, Levanese, Libyan, Moroccan, Palestinian, Brazilian Portuguese, Quechua, Slovenian, Sudanese, Syrian, Tunisian, Yemeni
- Oral Proficiency Interview by Computer (OPIc)Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Pashto, Persian Farsi, European Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian and Spanish
- Writing Proficiency Test (WPT)Albanian (Booklet form only)*, Arabic, Cantonese Chinese, Mandarin Chinese, English, French, German, Greek (Modern), Haitian Creole (Booklet form only)* , Hebrew (Booklet form only), Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian Farsi, Polish, European Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Vietnamese.*All WPT tests are conducted by computer except those indicated as Booklet form only. Those are written (booklet) tests which get mailed to the test taker and mailed back to LTI for scoring
- Reading Proficiency Test (RPT)Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
- Listening Proficiency Test (LPT)Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
- Listening and Reading computer adaptive test (L&Rcat)English
- Seal of Biliteracy testing